Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

But you...




Jude.


The other weekend our friend and Pastor Troy taught on the book of Jude.  I have never looked much at this book but was touched by a few things.  


This whole book is an exhortation to a group of people following Jesus to fight against false teaching.  The part that struck me was at the very end of book that in light of all this false teaching, what they themselves should focus on.




"20But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. 22And have mercy on those who doubt; 23save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.
Doxology
 24 Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, 25to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen." (emphasis mine)


This past week I was feeling off.  Everything felt a lot harder than it normally does.  Even doing laundry felt overwhelming and all I have to do is turn a knob.  I can so quickly forget that my emotions don't need to dictate how I live.  Mine often do!  Hearing these words gave me hope to focus on building myself up in faith.   I forget so quickly that it is a fight to renew my mind in what is true.  


I loved the part that says "keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life."  Often I just assume being in God's love will just happen to me.  But Jude taught the early church that they must KEEP themselves there by reminding themselves of God's love found in Jesus.  I want to dwell there but it is a fight at times!


After some strong words about false teachers I am so moved by how God desires mercy.  "Have mercy on those who doubt."  Some weeks it's me that needs the mercy.  I am so moved by how God loves mercy and is so patient with me and humanity.  He is always at work wanting people to know His love.  I'm still in awe that Jesus was and is real and that He walked on this earth.  Everything I learn about God makes me wonder more about how deep He is and yet how a child can know His love.


So thankful that verse 24 reminds me that it is Him who is able to do all of this.  My sustainer.  I need one. 






No comments:

Post a Comment